Saturday, March 5, 2011

Getting ready for Luminaria!

I have received a stipend to organize an event for this year's Luminaria in San Antonio. From the Luminariasa.org website:


"Luminaria is San Antonio's annual celebration of art and artists. Held in March and overseen by San Antonio's creative leaders, it is free of charge and showcases all art forms in an outdoor setting and inside various venues downtown.
Luminaria spotlights San Antonio's cultural assets for local citizens and visitors alike and is made possible through the generosity of artists, arts organizations, volunteers, and public and private donations. In 2010, an estimated 200,000 people attended Luminaria."

After a some thought, and guidance that the work should have something to do with light, I decided to host a Minigama event (word play off the Japanese climbing kiln: a Anagama Kiln). I invited 8 other artists that have strong ties to the Southwest School of Art, (the anchor institution in my career) to each make a small, sculptural kiln out of clay that we will fire off during the event using small blowers and charcoal.  Over the years, I have made around 10 of these things. Sometimes I make it as a end of the year collaborative project with my students, sometimes it is a part of a class, and sometimes, I just want to play with fire! 


Here are some pics of my "Toad Kiln":



I can hardly wait to see smoke and flames coming out of its eyes, nose, and mouth!
Here is another pic of one that is firing:


The other artists that are participating are: Dennis Smith, Ryan Takaba, Jennifer Datchuck, Sara Boyd, Lyn Woods, Barbara Hill, Mark Crutsinger, and Richard Kline. Everyone did an outstanding job. The kilns are in the follwing forms: A toad, rollerskate, armadillo, catcus, dog, "hang ten hand", drag car, castle, and abstract kiln! I can hardly wait!


Come out and see us on March 12th! We will be firing them off 7-11PM and will be located between the Federal building and the Food truck area, next to the "chainsaw ice sculpture fights!???!" I guess that is a good thing, if someone gets burned we should have plenty of ice! 


Keep that wheel turning!
Diana

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the SSA shout out, Diana! Hearing more about it makes me all the more disappointed I won't be at Luminaria this year to see it (conference same weekend- ugh). If you get pics of all of them going off at once I'd love to see (and maybe post) them. Good luck and Happy CAM!

    ReplyDelete